Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Annie Use Your Telescope, Jack's Mannequin



As most of you know I work for a national market publisher helping customers order books they want and untangle their orders (aka messes) placed on the web.

With this busy time of year I have encountered some odd situations and thought they might help you in case it ever happens to you:

  • Local Public Television station calls to order DVD's we publish for their local telethon. I inform their representative that the title is out of print and that we are sold out. She immediately gets disgruntled and asks how she is supposed to show the presentation in a week and tell her subscribers that the show is not available as a gift with a donation. I let her know she can try calling our corporate office to make arrangements. Under her breath she mentions how lame of a company we are. Since when was it our problem that you decided not to prepare in advance and make sure that the DVD was available. Good thing I donate to the "other" station!
  • "Okay let me just pull up your account... Is this Tonya Lastname?" "No sir, it's TAN-YAH, the o is pronounced like an 'A' but spelled with an 'O." I think she decided in first grade that she needed to be annoyingly different aka "My name is Sa5M, the five is silent."
  • Within the past 3 weeks I have been asked several times what country I am from because it sounds like an British accent with a splash of southern hospitality. When I inform them I from the Jello state, they say that is so odd. One particular customer said it was probably because I have good diction and differing tone. "Thanks for the compliment???"

Enjoy these moments and check back tomorrow because it will be my annual giveaway, and this prize will help one of you all year long... guaranteed or you money back!

6 comments:

Laura said...

I had a friend in high school named Claire. She decided it would be cool to put a "z" in her name therefore spelling her name Czlaire. People would ask her why her name had a "z" and ask her how to pronounce it. She would reply that she is from Czechoslovakia and the "z" is silent. She got a real kick out of this. Really though, if she was from Czechoslovakia, the "z" would, I guess, be silent, but her name would be pronounced more like "chair" and that's just dumb.

Angela's Crazy Daily's said...

I swear people are ruthless over the phone sometimes. The best part is that what ever their problem may be... Its yours as well!!! By the way I LOVE Jack's Mannequin!!!!

Jon said...

Add a little cinnamon to that accent and you've got a nice egg nog! haha!

metcalfruf said...

my name is not mar-see it is mar-say!! but seriously people always pronounce Ruf like rough instead of roof. what r ya gonna do?

Jen said...

hee hee those are great! Now, where's my order I placed today? It's not here yet and I'm not going to be happy if you ruin my Christmas!

Hang in there, the holiday rush is almost over with.

Lisa P. said...

thank you for the laugh! I remember being in a call center and the caller said I sounded like Kristi Yamaguchi. really? whatever!

 
Copyright 2009 Small Pebble Uncovered. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree